The school-based component of the Appalachian Scholars’ Program focuses on identifying and engaging eighth grade students who are at risk of graduating without the skills necessary to transition to work. As a result of hands-on experiences, students will be equipped with the tools and opportunities needed to avoid risky behaviors and develop a vision and viable career plan for the future.
Hindman Settlement School has adopted the Wyman Center’s TOP (Teen Outreach Program) curriculum for use with students. TOP is an evidence-driven, systems-based curriculum designed to connect students to their peers, their families, and their communities through service learning and work.
Partner School Sites
- Arlie Boggs Elementary, Eolia, KY
- Beaver Creek Elementary, Littcarr, KY
- Carr Creek Elementary, Kite, KY
- Emmalena Elementary, Emmalena, KY
- Hindman Elementary, Hindman, KY
- Jenkins Independent, Jenkins, KY
- Jones Fork Elementary, Mousie, KY
- Knott County Central High School, Hindman, KY
For more information on how to become a partner school site or to get involved with this program, contact Lola Watts, Appalachian Scholars’ Program School Based Coordinator..